Example of 2.5D/3D Geometry
White Regions (Soft Material) in 2.5D
Clear Regions (Hard Material) in 3D
Ordering Defined By Urethane Hardness. Processed to Minimize Machining on Soft Surfaces
- Machinable or Cast Only? Design so machinable urethanes can be cast before unmachinable.
- Cast only materials need to be in 2.5D (needs planing to get proper surface finish
- avoid machining on soft surfaces to be used in high stress, high cycle applications (e.g. flexures). Machining may produce cracks that can propagate.
- (later defines the fabrication order in processing)
- Width and length constrains designs. Design for manufacturability. Create parts with tool size in mind. Layers cannot be cut to depths larger than the tool length.